discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.free>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:59:02 +0000

@Travis I am sorry your input was rejected back then and I am happy you still
wish to contribute. From my point at least, I think it was because I had
already started work on the current theme.

I have always liked the clean professional look of your site and I hope we
can build something as fresh and as accessible for OpenNIC now.

The responsive theme you link to looks very interesting and when I get to a
computer tonight I will be studying it, thanks.

Can you send me some information about the API you mention please, maybe off
list?

Peter

Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com> wrote:

>Hey guys,
>I don't want to cause drama or publicaly call anyone out, but when the
>website was being designed I approached multiple people who were
>working on the "secret project" and asked to be the one to design the
>new site. I tried to tell them about all these flaws that you guys
>suggested below and said that the site still looked like it was
>developed by engineers instead of by people who understand design.
>
>I was told (basically) to back off and that there was already a person
>working on it and apparently they wanted to meet a self-set deadline or
>something. I don't know but the point is that I was specifically told
>not to get involved. Which was frustrating, but I also like being a cog
>in the wheel and if other people think that they know better -- who am
>I to judge.
>
>However, now that it seems that we are all in agreement of my initial
>complaints... let me make some suggestions to get the site going:
>
>1) Let's start the theme based on
>http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive I was thinking at first
>to base it off a bootstrap theme, which also would be cool, but
>realistically "Responsive" does everything we need out of the box and
>looks nice.
>
>2) Let's integrate the functionality of useopennic.org into
>OpenNic-Project.org the source code for useopennic.org is freely
>available (https://bitbucket.org/teamcoltra/useopennic).
>
>3) Let's use the wordpress functionality to be blogging about notable
>websites which are using OpenNIC. This boosts user engagement and let's
>people find websites that are using OpenNIC something that I think a
>new user wants to see.
>
>I don't have anything to add on the wiki issue but this:
>
>I don't want to be disrespectful to Brian, he has been around much
>longer than I have and has way more experience than me. However, if the
>barrier to entry on our current wiki system is too great that people
>are not using it, and switching to mediawiki or something would fix
>that -- we cannot allow one person to have god like authority.
>
>"I maintain it, and I'm not going to go through the learning curve of
>another wiki."
>
>This feels really insulting to the way we do things at OpenNIC, we are
>a team. We can't expect you to keep maintaining the wiki if you don't
>want to -- but to make it seem like it's simply not something that can
>be discussed because you are comfortable with the current system(and
>did not even provide valid reasons for us needing the current wiki,
>outside of you not wanting to work with another wiki system).
>
>I don't have another suggestion, I don't even know if the current wiki
>is the problem -- or if it is just that people don't like to edit
>wikis. My problem is the idea that we can't have a debate on the topic,
>or that one member tries to imply that.
>
>Hopefully I am not offending anyone, if people want my help building
> [...]

- --
Wanged from my Kaiser by a mischievous pixie!