discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:15:44 -0500

I think it's silly to say that the theme is bad because it tries to
minimize weird browser issues. It doesn't rely on it, it simply is
enhanced by it, and most responsive designs have some sort of browser
singilzation setups... also it's not helpful to just say "reset is
trash" perhaps you can provide constructive feedback on it?

GPL vs BSD is a deep philosophical debate that I don't think OpenNIC
needs to get into. Our focus should be on pragmatism.

Aaron J. Angel wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 01:06 AM, Travis McCrea wrote:
>> 1) Let's start the theme based on
>> http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive I was thinking at
>> first to base it off a bootstrap theme, which also would be cool,
>> but realistically "Responsive" does everything we need out of the
>> box and looks nice.
> Let's not:
>
>> /* =Reset CSS (v2.0) http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/
>
> Reset is trash. Also, have we considered the implications of
> licensing? It doesn't seem we have a form stand on the matter. I
> prefer BSD-style licensing; it's far more open than GNU's
> alternative.
>
>> I don't want to be disrespectful to Brian, he has been around much
>> longer than I have and has way more experience than me. However, if
>> the barrier to entry on our current wiki system is too great that
>> people are not using it, and switching to mediawiki or something
>> would fix that -- we cannot allow one person to have god like
>> authority.
>
> With respect, I agree. There should be valid justifications for
> maintaining and using software. I'm comfortable with continuing to
> use the existing wiki if it meets our needs. But, to be honest, I'm
> not sure what value the wiki has. That's certainly not Brian's
> fault. From what I can tell, it's not being used to collaborate in a
> particularly worthwhile manner. Frankly, it looks more like a
> dumping ground for information that hasn't yet found its home.
>
>> I don't have another suggestion, I don't even know if the current
>> wiki is the problem -- or if it is just that people don't like to
>> edit wikis. My problem is the idea that we can't have a debate on
>> the topic, or that one member tries to imply that.
>
> Beyond the way it is actually being used, it seems there is a
> conflict as to its intended use. The wiki itself says it is intended
> is to serve as an access controlled work area for working groups.
> This is at odds with the description on the main page, which states
> it is intended to house all technical information about OpenNIC. It
> even suggests it as a learning resource. I don't see a work area as
> a useful learning resource for the general public.
>

> -------- You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list. You may
> unsubscribe by emailing discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org

- --
Respectfully,
Travis McCrea
Captain, United States Pirate Party
International Coordinator, Pirate Party of Canada
Chief Administrative Officer, Pirate Parties International

http://travismccrea.com
http://twitter.com/teamcoltra
http://fb.me/teamcoltra

1(778)709-4859 Canada