discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.free>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 12:24:52 +0000

I don't feel going into details as to how it happened back then would be
fruitful, though there are many factors that lead to where we are today.

Many good points there Travis, particularly that the site needs to come from
a design, gui etc point of view, and it seems clear we all know too well most
of us tend toward the tech side.

To state my case...

I have a passionate interest in OpenNIC
I do web dev, though maybe not that well!
I believe strongly in collaboration, particularly as it can help overcome big
hurdles.
I believe there needs to be a coordinator, to channel ideas and make it
happen, it seems I have now (willingly) become that coordinator, I didn't
have that luxury a year ago and I am grateful for the trust people have in me.

So I hope we can all work on this and make something great, but remember,
that although your suggestions may not be implimented directly (they can't
all be of course), but they will have made a difference and guided the
process.

Oh, and I'm not perfect (yet ;-) so don't expect perfection!

Peter

Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com> wrote:

> [...]
>faster
>without it being caught up in constant debate, they made the project
>secret. This was a mistake in my opinion.
>
>I am okay with having secret projects or working on things behind the
>scenes to do what is right instead of waiting on everyone's opinion
>which would probably eventually lead to the same result. In this case,
>however, the website kinda represents our entire group. Furthermore,
>this project was taken on by all (if not mostly) people with "engineer
>brains"... our public facing website needs to be designed with
>marketing
>and GUI brains. This would have been discussed had the project not been
>secret.
>
>Anyway, we can't change anything in the past we can only move forward
>--
>and I intend to work with all of you guys to make the site better and
>have a great user experience.
>
>Peter Green wrote:
>>
>> @Travis I am sorry your input was rejected back then and I am happy
>> you still wish to contribute. From my point at least, I think it was
>> because I had already started work on the current theme.
>>
>> I have always liked the clean professional look of your site and I
>> hope we can build something as fresh and as accessible for OpenNIC
>> now.
>>
>> The responsive theme you link to looks very interesting and when I
>> get to a computer tonight I will be studying it, thanks.
>>
>> Can you send me some information about the API you mention please,
>> maybe off list?
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, I don't want to cause drama or publicaly call anyone out,
>>> but when the website was being designed I approached multiple
>>> people who were working on the "secret project" and asked to be the
>>> one to design the new site. I tried to tell them about all these
>>> flaws that you guys suggested below and said that the site still
>>> looked like it was developed by engineers instead of by people who
>>> understand design.
>>
>>> I was told (basically) to back off and that there was already a
>>> person working on it and apparently they wanted to meet a self-set
>>> deadline or something. I don't know but the point is that I was
>>> specifically told not to get involved. Which was frustrating, but I
>>> also like being a cog in the wheel and if other people think that
>>> they know better -- who am I to judge.
>>
>>> However, now that it seems that we are all in agreement of my
>>> initial complaints... let me make some suggestions to get the site
>>> going:
>>
>>> 1) Let's start the theme based on
>>> http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive I was thinking at
>>> first to base it off a bootstrap theme, which also would be cool,
>>> but realistically "Responsive" does everything we need out of the
>>> box and looks nice.
>>
>>> 2) Let's integrate the functionality of useopennic.org into
>>> OpenNic-Project.org the source code for useopennic.org is freely
>>> available (https://bitbucket.org/teamcoltra/useopennic).
>>
>>> 3) Let's use the wordpress functionality to be blogging about
>>> notable websites which are using OpenNIC. This boosts user
>>> engagement and let's people find websites that are using OpenNIC
>>> something that I think a new user wants to see.
>>
>>> I don't have anything to add on the wiki issue but this:
>>
>>> I don't want to be disrespectful to Brian, he has been around much
>>> longer than I have and has way more experience than me. However, if
>>> the barrier to entry on our current wiki system is too great that
>>> people are not using it, and switching to mediawiki or something
>>> would fix that -- we cannot allow one person to have god like
>>> authority.
>>
>>> "I maintain it, and I'm not going to go through the learning curve
>>> of another wiki."
>>
>>> This feels really insulting to the way we do things at OpenNIC, we
>>> are a team. We can't expect you to keep maintaining the wiki if you
>>> don't want to -- but to make it seem like it's simply not something
>>> that can be discussed because you are comfortable with the current
>>> system(and did not even provide valid reasons for us needing the
>>> current wiki, outside of you not wanting to work with another wiki
>>> system).
>>
>>> I don't have another suggestion, I don't even know if the current
>>> wiki is the problem -- or if it is just that people don't like to
>>> edit wikis. My problem is the idea that we can't have a debate on
>>> the topic, or that one member tries to imply that.
>>
>>> Hopefully I am not offending anyone, if people want my help
>>> building ONIC 3.0 then I will gladly take part. <3

>>> -------- You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list. You may
>>> unsubscribe by emailing
>>> discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org
>>

>> -------- You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list. You may
>> unsubscribe by emailing discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org
>
>- --
>Respectfully,
>Travis McCrea
>Captain, United States Pirate Party
>International Coordinator, Pirate Party of Canada
>Chief Administrative Officer, Pirate Parties International
>
>http://travismccrea.com
>http://twitter.com/teamcoltra
>http://fb.me/teamcoltra
>
>1(778)709-4859 Canada
>1(206)552-8728 United States

>--------
>You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list.
>You may unsubscribe by emailing
>discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org

- --
Wanged from my Kaiser by a mischievous pixie!