discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.free>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 12:09:55 +0000

>40+, not creative or still uses window 98.

For saying you mean no offence, you sure push the limits!

Yes, I did the current theme, I am 40+ but the most insulting part is that
you say I must be using windblow$ 98! I stuck with 3.1 it rocks! ;-)

Seriously, you make many good points, all of which will be thrown into to the
mix, thanks!

Peter

nanashiRei <nanashi.rei AT gmail.com> wrote:

>That theme is good, right. But we really should abstract a little from
>the original. I know we are not selling stuff here at OpenNIC, however
>we do still need to "sell" the idea right. And, no offense, whoever did
>the current theme is either 40+, not creative or still uses window 98.
>Sure sounds a little harsh, but when you want to distribute information
>about something you got think about marketing strategies. That includes
>dropping your own wishes for the media style. Of course there should be
>elements that identify you/your project in a unique way, but if the
>user
>that lands on your page finds it unattractive, then he will,
>statistically proven, leaven within the first 45 seconds of his visit.
>One major problem with most page, and also opennicproject.org, is wrong
>alignment of content, wrong use of font size, wrong amount of text on
>the index page and uninviting colors.
>
>OpenNIC is a alternative DNS project, not a blog. Therefore i think the
>landing page should **NOT** be a blog, forum or news list. It should be
>a presentational one-page setup that nails down what opennic is and
>what
>to gain from it. And do it in less then 100 words! (This is the amount
>of words where users do statistically stop reading your page if they're
>not convinced by then.) There still can be links in a
>sidebar/navigation
>to a blog/forum/wiki, but as said that's not the main concern opennic
>has for it's main page.
>
>I personally was left with this first impression, until Nico H. told me
>more about you guys and what this is about:
>
>> "What is this? Looks like something that was abandoned long ago."
>
>Again, no offense here, i'm the annoying user-type that thinks:
>
>- A new design every year is common
>- New things are always cool (also windows 8!)
>- People that reject new things should stay off the Internet
>- People that think that javascript is a security problem should die
>(well not literally but some education would be good)
>
>/shit-storm-end/
>
>Am 04.12.2012 11:59, schrieb Peter Green:
>>
>> @Travis I am sorry your input was rejected back then and I am happy
>you still wish to contribute. From my point at least, I think it was
>because I had already started work on the current theme.
>>
>> I have always liked the clean professional look of your site and I
>hope we can build something as fresh and as accessible for OpenNIC now.
>>
>> The responsive theme you link to looks very interesting and when I
>get to a computer tonight I will be studying it, thanks.
>>
>> Can you send me some information about the API you mention please,
>maybe off list?
>>
>> Peter

- --
Wanged from my Kaiser by a mischievous pixie!