discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Richard Lyons <richard AT the-place.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:36:59 +0000
  • Comment: DKIM? See http://www.dkim.org
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=the-place.net; h=Received:X-Qmail-Scanner-Diagnostics:X-Qmail-Scanner-Mail-From:X-Qmail-Scanner:Received:Date:From:To:Subject:Message-ID:References:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Disposition:In-Reply-To:User-Agent; b=DNg9UaxYaXBA0K1u/2/LiBpV7Hw/StzXPRBVIZLDUaGo/yer9jZs3e+32WuUcH ZlI281Umo7FpYGnB7T2PA1HLQ8hbdLBbxYqlZ3x2xvgyniySoxGUlVGxoVC5rwxr 2eVzpJKiejYjY/2WziWPWKviB102SbPNP5jQUt4rpY7kU=;

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 01:29:49 +0000, Peter Green wrote:

> > The only thing I would say is I don't like D.N.S., drop the full stops,
> > DNS
>
> Ha ha, this is funny. It's an acronym, acronyms have full stops in
> them, why is that so bad? It's correct.

The convention is that full stops indicate initial letters used in place
of words. However, since the 50s at least, it has become increasingly
common to simply use capital letters to indicate an acronym, omitting
the full stops. This can be seen as normal usage today, and it is
certainly easier on the eyes. The important thing is to use uppercase
to distinguish acronyms from words. (Obviously, even this rule is
routinely ignored in SMS and IM usage, though it should be observed in
more formal media.)

richard