discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request

Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request

  • From: Asier Garaialde - GipuzkoaShare <agaraialde AT gipuzkoashare.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:32:41 +0100

That's is the exact problem. The contries with independence aspirations like Catalonia, Basque Country or Scotland are finding for a 'national' ccTLD.
One possibility is to asko for a newTLD like .cat for Catalonia, but i'ts a trick because .cat isn't 2 letter TLD like other ccTLD, It's a newTLD for catalonian culture.
We want the same level (2 letter TLD) for a basque TLD that other official countries like spain, france, etc... not 3 lletters tricky TLD like .eus or .bsq

IANA and ISO-3166-1 codes are determined sometimes by political decisions, decided by big power countries like USA, France, Spain, Great Britain, etc. and logically, countries with independence aspirations are in the low power side, within possibilities to start a ISO 3166-1/cTLD changement procedure.

IANAs procedure to assign ccTLD is with the ISO 3166-1, but what happening with .ac, .gg, .im, .je and other ccTLD' they are not in ISO 3166-1. Then, the only thing it's that IANA don't' want to permit register independece aspirational countries to avoid problems with de big powered countries...

All 676 two-letter combinations will be restricted in openNIC for a future IANAs use? I see that .ek TLD isn't assigned, reserved or used and I think that this not may cause any confrontation with IANA.

Watching the home page of teh project, I think openNIC is the better solution for avoid IANAcentric political decisions. I'm wrong?

Then, finally, after last 2 days messages, we want to ask to openNIC community: We can register .EK TLD with openNIC?

Thank in advance.

Asier Garaialde