discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request

Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD request
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:53:21 -0500

On 02/05/2013 03:32 PM, Asier Garaialde - GipuzkoaShare wrote:
That's is the exact problem. The contries with independence aspirations like Catalonia, Basque Country or Scotland are finding for a 'national' ccTLD.
So, basically, you want a country code for Basque Country.  The problem is not that we won't give you one.  The problem is that you're asking the wrong people to give you one.  Country codes in ISO 3166-1 are assigned to names of countries (and other country-like entities, to be fair) published by the United Nations.

.ac, .gg, .im, .je According to the ISO[1]:

- AC has been exceptionally reserved for Ascension Island.
- GG has been officially assigned to Guernsey.
- IM has been officially assigned to Isle of Man.
- JE has been officially assigned to Jersey.

Exceptionally reserved codes, such as AC, are not part of ISO 3166-1, but are nonetheless reserved for specific uses.  It appears ICANN and IANA have decided on a particular use and the code has been reserved appropriately.  Guernsey, Jersey, and Isle of Man, were given codes by the ISO in accordance with their country names being published by the UN in the appropriate terminology bulletin.

I understand OpenNIC has .oz (I must have missed that discussion when it was proposed.)  Luckily, OZ isn't assigned, according to ISO 3166-1.  Nonetheless, I prefer to stick to reserving two-letter TLDs for ISO 3166-1 assignments and would posit pulling that delegation.

Then, finally, after last 2 days messages, we want to ask to openNIC community: We can register .EK TLD with openNIC?

You can request to create a new TLD by following the process published our the website[2].  Specifically, you'll need an admin team and a charter.  You can post details to the list and call for a vote.

[1]: http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/iso-3166-1_decoding_table.htm
[2]: http://www.opennicproject.org/opennic-policies/creating-a-tld/