discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Looking for logs (just the domains) for censorship research

Re: [opennic-discuss] Looking for logs (just the domains) for censorship research

  • From: Frank Minder <frminder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Looking for logs (just the domains) for censorship research
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:02:19 -0800 (PST)

Calum got it right, thanks for the explanation!

I understand and appreciate that DNS operators are aware of their responsibility and I completely agree that you shouldn't share your complete log files with a random stranger who asks for it on a mailinglist.
But I believe some people on this list are interested in the OpenNIC project because they dislike the idea of censorship on the Internet (like me) and would like to use their resources to help researching a secret government Internet censorship blacklist and debunk the mostly ridiculous implementations of those blacklists. I already found domains that are not registered anymore since several years, domains that used to host a porn website but now belong to startups that have no way to be successful in that country because of the censorship, several obvious typos and so on.
I am explicitly not asking for the full logs with IPs, timestamps etc., just the plain domains. Alexa provides a download of the top million domains according to their research (http://s3.amazonaws.com/alexa-static/top-1m.csv.zip), Quantcast as well (https://ak.quantcast.com/quantcast-top-million.zip). Hell, its not even difficult to get a *complete* list of all .com/net/org/info/biz etc. domains (http://www.leandomainsearch.com/blog/16-how-to-get-access-to-the-official-verisign--com-zone-file) -- I am asking for something very similar, just with subdomains and of course other TLDs as well. I don't see a big security/privacy issue here.

If you would like to help but don't want to share your domainlist I can send you the hashes and show you how to use your local domainlist to try to recover the plaintext domains from the hashes. This would mean much more work for you and won't help me with the new hashes on the next update of the blacklist but it would still be appreciated very much.
Just contact me off list.

On Monday, March 3, 2014 7:50 PM, Guillaume Parent <gparent AT gparent.org> wrote:
Yeah, if the idea is to identify individual domains rather than try and assess what percentage would be blocked then I'm afraid that personally I can't help you.

-gp

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Hunter 9999 <mail AT hunter-9999.de> wrote:
> Am 03.03.2014 um 19:19 schrieb Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk>:
>> On 3 March 2014 16:26, Guillaume Parent <gparent AT gparent.org> wrote:
>> What you should do is tell us how to generate hashed lists so that we never
>> have to give you logs in the first place.
>>
>> I assume most operators willing to give you this data would only do it with
>> a strong one way hash pre-applied (such as SHA512)
>
> From what I understand, the individual wants to find out which
> particular domains are on the list of hashes provided to the ISPs by
> whichever government. He needs large lists of non-hashed domains to
> hash and compare with the blocked lists; a matching hash will indicate
> that particular domain being blocked by the government. Is this
> correct? Sorry, I am unable to help as I do not operate any public DNS
> servers.

This is what I understand, too.