discuss - [opennic-discuss] Update to the servers page

[opennic-discuss] Update to the servers page

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Update to the servers page
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 16:23:03 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx1.computerrehab.us 48B442D7B9

https://servers.opennic.org/

I wanted to announce an update to the user interface today, with a bit more still to come. First off, I am using colored flags on the left side now to represent certain aspects of each server and provide more space as we add other options in the future.

I also mostly eliminated the colored bars and am using triangles on the right side to represent the state of each server.

Finally, there is not a distinct different in the servers listed depending on whether or not you are logged in to the page. Guest visitors will see a smaller list showing servers that are actively online or experiencing brief failures. If you log in with your opennic account, you will see the complete list that was shown on the old page. I thought it would be more useful for the occasional visitors if they only saw the servers that would useful to them as DNS providers.

I also added a new script for the back-side processes. Some may have noticed the number of servers pending deletion has continually grown. The new script will move those server to a deleted status after 90 days. As a quick review, and server that continually fails testing or is offline for more than 48 hours will be moved to the 'remove' category. You must go in and manually change your status back to 'updated' after fixing the server if you want it to continue being listed for opennic, or it will be moved to the 'deleted' category after 90 days. One year after being moved to 'deleted', a server will be scrubbed from the database (sometimes people do come back).

I'm also going to try working on the email notifications again so you may start seeing those in your mailboxes once more. PLEASE make sure that the 'private' email address you have entered on the members page is valid, that is the address used by the server to communicate any problems.