discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

  • From: Christopher <weblionx AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:01:04 -0400

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Dmitry S. Nikolaev <dn AT mega-net.ru> wrote:
> Thanks, but my enthusiasm is going down and down.
> Why ? Because all replies for now are like:
> "The world is cruel, because the world is cruel"
> and
> "I can say why NOT and can`t say why YES".

You've given ideas, I've personally given responses on why I think
they are bad ideas. The reason I can't say "why YES" is because
there's nothing you have said that I agree with.

> Also I know main thing: If you do not try to do anything, then nothing will
> happen.

I am not holding you down. Feel free to propose a vote if you like the
idea so much. Heck, start the TLD on your own if you really want. Make
your own alt-NIC. Don't let anyone stop you. But if you want to be a
part of OpenNIC, realize you are going to have to work with people
that do not see eye-to-eye with you.

I do not agree with any points you have made regarding these new TLDs
you have proposed. If you want clarification on a specific response,
please ask about it.

> We still need distribute such URLs in common Internet and maybe try to find
> hoster for such pages.
> So people, who already in the opennic project and who playing these games,
> can help on startup.
> Again as example of this: I will post link to virus-net-ru.gta in my
> Facebook. So my friends can see post
> and link and have curiosity how to open it.

They'll click the link, it won't work, and if they're super unlucky
their ISP will redirect them to a search page. Using OpenNIC domains
and linking them in public places is fine, I agree that can work. I
don't know how you plan to make your nickname TLDs work, though. How
do you verify someone actually owns <nickname> when they register
<nickname>.gta? Do you not care? Is there a dispute resolution policy
you plan to have in place? Again, why do a TLD for every game? What
happens when multiple games have the same acronym? Spell it out? What
if there are multiple games with the same name? Are only distinct
games going to have TLDs? Are we going to have a TLD for every game?
That sounds an awful lot like doing what ICANN is doing with making
the TLD space explode in size. I very much recommend a .game or .play
or .fun TLD if you really want to go that route.

> This is the least that we need for. So they can google or ask me how to
> open it AND SO they will
> know about opennic project and other TLDs. As to myself I only find out
> about opennic after I start
> to learn how to get .bit domain. Before I even don`t heard about opennic.

That's cool, like I said I'm all for people using OpenNIC links in
places like that but that's really independent of any specific TLD
idea.

- CR