discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonah AT triplebit.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 10:53:34 -0500

The issue with the backup plan you all propose isn't that it's on .o specifically, it's that any such backup plan would centralize the DNS infrastructure because at the end of it some ONE person is running that top level TLD, and whether that person is me on .o or [some random person] running [some random single letter TLD] doesn't matter. I'd be happy to have the backup on .o, and I think I'm pretty trustworthy around here. But that's certainly no reason for you all to trust me or anyone else. The backup solutions mentioned here are not good alternatives to our current setup, and the real solution is to make a decision to not back down against ICANN in the future. TLD operators defending their TLDs is much better than TLD operators relegating their records to another slightly-more-protected TLD. Either that or give up? It all comes down to what the community wants, do we really care that much about ICANN's endless stream of pretty much unused gTLDs?

Jonah

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Al Beano <albino AT autistici.org> wrote:
I agree. If we want some kind of backup plan, wouldn't it be more sensible to use another one letter TLD? (Maybe .a?)