discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 19:37:10 -0400 (EDT)

No prob.

I should elaborate a bit on what I meant by Namecoin vs OpenNIC. Years ago,
someone wanted to add a .front domain to OpenNIC, and there was a very
divided vote against it because of the term's association with extreme
movements. We've also had situations where we've voted to remove or change
TLDs in light of decisions by ICANN to offer the same TLDs commercially. With
.bit, you do not have to worry about such things, although setting up
Namecoin is a bit complicated (especially now with OpenNIC not doing it for
you) and there's the cost of the cryptocurrency and the difficulty to get it,
which is no longer as easy as it used to be.

--

-Dan Q