discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

  • From: 'smee <overthefalls AT opengroupware.ch>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 10:55:01 -0600

The problem is that the people who would be in a position to censor it
will do so for their own purposes and only maybe coincidentally for any
moral purpose. Google is the perfect example of this. They're involved
in software and protocol development in so many projects and so far in
bed with government (another non-benevolent, usually regulatorily
captured, usually bad actor) that who's to trust them to do the job of
censoring the internet. The internet will turn into tv where it talks
to us and we listen and obey instead of people freely exchanging ideas.

You say the uncensored internet will inevitably be or become a
cesspool, I posit that it will only more accurately mirror the real
world, good and bad. And I don't think you'll be able to clean out all
the bad from the internet just like you will never clear out all the
bad from all us humans.
What I think scares the powers that be the most, truth will be allowed
to be spoken and will be allowed to perpetuate, and no one will be
allowed to lead every conversation. That's what we risk by allowing
censorship imo. If we allow censorship, the end-game I think is that
the talking heads will get to keep talking and they'll gain their
(mostly quiet) audience back.