discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Travis McCrea <teamcoltra AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:57:25 -0900

I think that by having a too diversified TLD setup, we make our service
LESS user friendly. We should be expanding TLDs based on large desire,
not simply because someone "thinks it would be cool". Case and
Point .P2P it came out of a pre-defined need, and we know that after its
all up and going... there will be a large number of users.

.parody sites can be registered on .free since parodies are Fair Use (ie
"Free", or .geek as it seems to be a nice catch-all TLD)... so it's not
like there is no place for these websites. It just seems like a very
very niche community that doesn't really need a TLD.

So if this came to vote, I would be in support of dropping .parody

On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 23:46 -0700, Jeff Taylor wrote:
> I just did an inventory of the domains listed under .parody. About half
> the registered domains are blank - somebody registered them and never
> came back. The rest of the domains are either incomplete (lacking any A
> records), or point to nameservers which no longer resolve that domain.
>
> Final analysis - The only domain under .parody that actually points to
> something is opennic.parody.
>
> I would like to put it up for discussion that this TLD is effectively
> dead and has no further use within the opennic project. Since I know a
> lot of people are probably on break during the holidays, I will throw
> out a reminder on this discussion at the beginning of next week, and
> depending on the response, we will put it up for vote at a later time.

Travis McCrea
1(206)552-8728
http://travismccrea.com

The Pirate ideology is like going organic, but free, and doesn't go
moldy as fast.

Please use GPG/PGP to verify my signature on this email to protect
yourself from any government or corporation intercepting and changing
the contents of this email. All emails from me will be signed using this
key. The attached signature.asc file is this verification document and
is only a text file, it should never require to be executed and thus is
safe.
This email was sent at Mon Dec 27 22:49:15 AKST 2010 using fully free
and open source software.
Unique Key: 22180880