discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Travis McCrea <teamcoltra AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:15:13 -0900

I do want to point out that there is a major difference between
"tweaking" / "enhancing" and "reinventing". This is not "changing the
way we use OpenNIC" so its not "reinventing" its creating a small
enhancement to better the community.

Now you say "Better the Community? That's silly you are REMOVING stuff."

However, look at the success of web forums -- When they have too many
forum categories to post in, while there still isn't that many people,
they almost always die. I am not saying that by having dotParody that it
may kill OpenNIC but I am saying that its better to have a smaller
number of TLDs as to not overwhelm people.

You have stated that there must have been some group that thought this
was a good idea. If you remember in IRC, I started up the topic that we
should create dotWTF and all the fun websites we could create with the
TLD. Then a few others started liking the idea too. lol just because its
a fun idea to THINK about, doesn't mean its a good idea in practice. It
seems like the .jobs domain name in ICANN -- sure in theory its great --
but in practice, when was the last time you had a potential employer
send you to a .jobs domain name?

I am just thinking what if only 2-3 people register domains on .parody
even after we grow more. Why would we dedicate resources which could be
used to create a more stable infrastructure to a domain that very few
people are actually going to take advantage of?

I know there is a number of you within the group that is resistant to
change. I agree that change, for the sake of change, is not positive.
However, change, when done for the sake of progress.... should always be
considered.

Clearly there is a large enough number of you who support
keeping .parody, and its not like I am AGAINST having it. I am just
thinking that we could use resources better elsewhere. However, if you
are only against the removal, because you don't like change... well then
that is a bad reason to be against it. There are a few decent reasons to
be against the removal of the TLD but "whaaaa OpenNIC might have things
done differently than what we did when I started with this project 5
years ago" isn't an acceptable response. it's the same thing with the
logo... our current logo is old and ugly. You guys are engineers, you
have to think about non-engineer people coming into this project and
wanting to take part. I am not suggesting enhancements for the old guys
here, you would be happy with a clipart logo. I am suggesting
enhancements which will make the experience more pleasing for new
people.

</rant> :P

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 08:56 -0600, Brian Koontz wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:57:25PM -0900, Travis McCrea wrote:
> > .parody sites can be registered on .free since parodies are Fair Use (ie
> > "Free", or .geek as it seems to be a nice catch-all TLD)... so it's not
> > like there is no place for these websites. It just seems like a very
> > very niche community that doesn't really need a TLD.
>
> Keep in mind that the membership, at one point, voted this TLD
> in...so *somebody* (most likely more than one person) saw value in
> this TLD.
>
> Sort of like introducing a new logo to replace an existing logo...is
> it really necessary?
>
> We can tweak on OpenNIC ad infinitum...as new people come in, new
> ideas are brought into the fold, and what was of value to some is now
> of no value to others.
>
> I caution everyone against this idea that OpenNIC is constantly in
> need of reinventing itself. There is value in continuity.
>
> --Brian

Travis McCrea
1(206)552-8728
http://travismccrea.com

The Pirate ideology is like going organic, but free, and doesn't go
moldy as fast.

Please use GPG/PGP to verify my signature on this email to protect
yourself from any government or corporation intercepting and changing
the contents of this email. All emails from me will be signed using this
key. The attached signature.asc file is this verification document and
is only a text file, it should never require to be executed and thus is
safe.
This email was sent at Tue Dec 28 13:54:37 AKST 2010 using fully free
and open source software.
Unique Key: 96658135