discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Travis McCrea <teamcoltra AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:52:21 -0900

I am just going to skip down to your last point about removing stuff we
disagree with and say "well its not being used... good bye". Thats what
I am trying to avoid. Maybe the parody TLD goes down for whatever
reason, and no one notices, because theres only a select few people who
even use it.

People create a bunch spam domain names, and it masks the real ones.
What if there is a real website running on .parody and Jeff's search
missed it and he deleted it?

Instead having those potential domain names on a more widely used T1
would allow them more security to their domain, and by taking .parody
off, we have those resources which can provide as a quick backup to any
T1 thats down or something (I will admit here is where my lack of
network / computer science skills show... so correct me if thats not
practical).

I am more concerned with the TLD being neglected -- because we forget
about it... and that effecting people who put sites up on it.

I also am having a hard time thinking of many sites that would GO on
it.

Anyway,thats my stance. :) I don't care TOO much either way.

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 17:31 -0600, Larry Brower wrote:

> On 12/28/2010 05:15 PM, Travis McCrea wrote:
> > I do want to point out that there is a major difference between
> > "tweaking" / "enhancing" and "reinventing". This is not "changing the
> > way we use OpenNIC" so its not "reinventing" its creating a small
> > enhancement to better the community.
> >
> > Now you say "Better the Community? That's silly you are REMOVING stuff."
> >
> > However, look at the success of web forums -- When they have too many
> > forum categories to post in, while there still isn't that many people,
> > they almost always die. I am not saying that by having dotParody that it
> > may kill OpenNIC but I am saying that its better to have a smaller
> > number of TLDs as to not overwhelm people.
> >

> While you make a point in regards to forums, how exactly does this
> relate to people being overwhelmed with TLD's?
>

> > You have stated that there must have been some group that thought this
> > was a good idea. If you remember in IRC, I started up the topic that we
> > should create dotWTF and all the fun websites we could create with the
> > TLD. Then a few others started liking the idea too. lol just because its
> > a fun idea to THINK about, doesn't mean its a good idea in practice. It
> > seems like the .jobs domain name in ICANN -- sure in theory its great --
> > but in practice, when was the last time you had a potential employer
> > send you to a .jobs domain name?
>
> This is true and the reason voting should be done in order to add a
> domain. If the majority speaks, then it is what should occur. To do
> otherwise seems a little dictatorial in nature.
>

> > I am just thinking what if only 2-3 people register domains on .parody
> > even after we grow more. Why would we dedicate resources which could be
> > used to create a more stable infrastructure to a domain that very few
> > people are actually going to take advantage of?
> >

> How is this affecting anything? DNS queries are small and if you arent
> getting them very often then what resource is really being used other
> than a few bytes of disk space for the zone file? Just because it is
> only 2 or 3 people using a domain as in your example, doesn't mean it
> isnt worth anything. You can not say 100% that there are only 2 or 3
> people using the domains under the TLD. You are unable to prove this
> beyond a reasonable doubt even if you wanted to since most T2 servers do
> not keep logs that long.
>

> > I know there is a number of you within the group that is resistant to
> > change. I agree that change, for the sake of change, is not positive.
> > However, change, when done for the sake of progress.... should always be
> > considered.
>

> Change for progress is good, change because you thing things aren't
> being used and using the excuse that it is for progress is bad. Sounds
> like something US .gov would do :)
>

> > Clearly there is a large enough number of you who support
> > keeping .parody, and its not like I am AGAINST having it. I am just
> [...]

Travis McCrea
1(206)552-8728
http://travismccrea.com

The Pirate ideology is like going organic, but free, and doesn't go
moldy as fast.

Please use GPG/PGP to verify my signature on this email to protect
yourself from any government or corporation intercepting and changing
the contents of this email. All emails from me will be signed using this
key. The attached signature.asc file is this verification document and
is only a text file, it should never require to be executed and thus is
safe.
This email was sent at Tue Dec 28 14:44:01 AKST 2010 using fully free
and open source software.
Unique Key: 73845928