discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:15:52 -0700

People create a bunch spam domain names, and it masks the real ones.
What if there is a real website running on .parody and Jeff's search
missed it and he deleted it?

In answer to this point... This morning I went through the entire domain registry for both .parody and .oss. I looked at every single domain, and probably half of them had absolutely NO information entered. The domain had been created, but the owner had not added any DNS entries in the past 1-2 years (and I haven't even looked at anything that's been created in the last several months). This means that those domain names were not pointing at anything real or otherwise, and the owner had never bothered to correct that problem. I completely deleted all of the domains with this situation... if you can't point it at something within a year's time, you obviously have no interest in pursuing the domain.

Of the domains that remained, if they had not been touched in over a year but contained at least a minimal effort by the owner to create valid data, I emailed the owners requesting a confirmation that they still had any interest in their domain (and to renew it through the registry).

Looking at the registry right now, there are 33 .parody domains registered. Of those, almost all have been registered in the past month, and almost all names also have a matching .oss registration. There were several folks who went through one day and registered a whole bunch of domains on both .oss and .parody. Not a single one of the 33 registered .parody domains has any information entered. They are completely blank.

Therefore, I stand by my earlier statement... there are NO functioning .parody domains in existence at the moment.