discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:21:19 -0700

The .parody TLD has been in existence longer than I've been with OpenNic... It may have actually been part of the original structure. The reason I took over running the TLD was because there is value in the idea behind it that is not represented by ICANN -- It provides a structure to create parodies of existing products/ideas without there being any question that this is in fact a parody rather than an attempt to use a manufacturer's known advertising methods to trick consumers into buying product from you.  Under US law, making it obvious that you are a parody gives a person free reign to imitate and mock anything and anyone.

The TLD has a specific, but wide-ranging use, and the idea behind it provided a safe harbor for anyone that wanted to use it... Its just that there was never a lot of interest within this particular group.