discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: "Edward J. Shornock" <ed.shornock AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:15:38 +0200

* Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> [28-12-2010 08:49 EET]:
> I just did an inventory of the domains listed under .parody. About
> half the registered domains are blank - somebody registered them and
> never came back. The rest of the domains are either incomplete
> (lacking any A records), or point to nameservers which no longer
> resolve that domain.
>
> Final analysis - The only domain under .parody that actually points
> to something is opennic.parody.

Actually, there's http://irc.parody/ as well. ;)

While I personally see it as being a bit of an unneccessary TLD, (ATM) I don't
see what benefits one would gain from its removal.

Better might be to have a charter drafted and make a reference to
.parody on the OpenNIC page. Being as though I'm new and have only used
the OpenNIC DNS servers for the last month, I never even heard of the
.parody TLD, as it's not mentioned on the main OpenNIC pages. When
looking at the "Register a domain" menu on the main page, .parody is
missing. Poking around I found that I could register a .parody domain at
http://www.parody/domain/ , but that information *should* be on the
front page with the other TLDs.

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I would be opposed to .parody's
removal. I woud prefer documenting its existence more prominently so
that those that /might/ be interested in this TLD could easily find it.