discuss - [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC root structure was Is it time to kill .parody?

[opennic-discuss] OpenNIC root structure was Is it time to kill .parody?

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC root structure was Is it time to kill .parody?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:30:34 +1000

> Only the TLD's should be in the root servers. Any individual domains
> registered under the TLD would be on their respective authoritative server.

This only occurs if the person(s) registering a OpenNIC DNS name
chooses to host there own zone. In OpenNIC, most TLD zone files are
hosted on the T1 server. This is due to lack of resources.

My current T1 has over 1600 DNS zones being hosted with my T2 being a
secondary DNS server to these domains.

Using galiumfred (the one I tweaked), it can handle multiple DNS
servers, with the TLD root only living on the T1.

> In short domain names do not belong on T1 servers. Only TLD's belong on
> these.

If TLD admins have the resources, this is the suitable approach.
Beggers can't be choosers.

--julian