discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] list of DNS prepared to register and host non-IANA names; cooperation opennic with AlternativeRootZone.org ; c: unable to register .ing domain

Re: [opennic-discuss] list of DNS prepared to register and host non-IANA names; cooperation opennic with AlternativeRootZone.org ; c: unable to register .ing domain

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] list of DNS prepared to register and host non-IANA names; cooperation opennic with AlternativeRootZone.org ; c: unable to register .ing domain
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 04:40:58 -0500

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:14:19PM +0200, JP Blankert (thuis & PC based)
wrote:
> The only difference between SARZ (on above site) and
> opennicproject.org is that (in my eyes) SARZ is open to commercial
> non-IANA projects while opennic is not.

There is no explicit prohibition on commecial use of OpenNIC TLDs.
That said, many TLD charters, keeping in the spirit of an open
democratic alternative to the greed that is ICANN, prohibit commercial
entities. But that is solely up to the TLD holder (and the desires of
the OpenNIC members who vote on the charters).

--Brian