discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

  • From: Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:30:48 -0700

Based on my conversation with the creator of this proposal, I have found
that the he places an unreasonable burdan on the community by wanting to
create a "general purpose" TLD without allowing for general purpose
websites. The legalities are restrictive to a point where they are vague
(which leads to abuse), and also over steps the legal requirements of a
NIC.

Furthermore, due to the restrictive nature of this proposal (and due to
his vehement defence of his stance), I can only believe that enforcement
of the policies will more strict than the other TLDs that we have in
OpenNIC.

If this was intended to be a vanity TLD that would have been a separate
issue entirely (though still wrong in it's abuses). The fact that this
is intended to be our general purpose ".com" type domain name means that
if you care about the ideals that OpenNIC is about, you NEED to vote
against this TLD.

“With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored,
irrevocably.”

I will be voting no.