discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

  • From: Dominique Rehborn <dominique AT boxnet.eu>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:52:15 +0200

On 08/15/2011 07:30 PM, Travis McCrea wrote:
> Based on my conversation with the creator of this proposal, I have found
not much of a conversation telling me you don't like it and are "by fact
voting against it". no new information or feedback, rather a shorter
summary of what's in the first mailing, which i answered by there was no
follow up, you are right in the beginning again, also no case and point yet.

> that the he places an unreasonable burdan on the community by wanting to
(please define this burden you are speaking of, i'm not sure of this can
apply when it's about sponsoring resources.)

> create a "general purpose" TLD without allowing for general purpose
and thus not allowing anyone to register anything at all? right.
also porn is not a general purpose, please go ahead take your own
resources and sponsor .porn for those purposes.

> websites. The legalities are restrictive to a point where they are vague
> (which leads to abuse), and also over steps the legal requirements of a
> NIC.
the legal restrictions are broader but not inhumane and have to be read
including common sense(!), they are by no means to restrict free speech
nor whatever paranoid things you are imagining.
if this leads to abuse of the side of the TLD sponsor is still to be
seen, and to be frank just hilariously when considering this is
sponsored to an alternative root which ICANN could take away ANY TLD
(interfere anyway..) at any time. just in case you thought you can
protect anything on OpenNIC at all, you're (unfortunately) wrong.

> Furthermore, due to the restrictive nature of this proposal (and due to
> his vehement defence of his stance), I can only believe that enforcement
> of the policies will more strict than the other TLDs that we have in
> OpenNIC.
what would policies be for if they are not enforced? Then i could just
leave it blank..
There's nothing to "believe" - the content of the charter IS more
restrictive to existing TLD's on OpenNIC, not WILL be.
Why exactly this is considered a "bad thing" by you, and you only so
far, i'm not sure. But i'm not gaining any information off by you anyway.

> If this was intended to be a vanity TLD that would have been a separate
> issue entirely (though still wrong in it's abuses). The fact that this
> is intended to be our general purpose ".com" type domain name means that
> if you care about the ideals that OpenNIC is about, you NEED to vote
> against this TLD.
if "you" (the people) agree with this content, you HAVE TO disagree,
because if can't read by yourself and are by definition a lemming.

please folks read the charter yourself and get a proper picture of
what's behind it. There are unexplainable fears here which i simply
cannot see.

> “With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored,
> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
> irrevocably.”

is what Captain Picard said, but that's not Star trek here, and totally
offtopic anyway.

> I will be voting no.

please go ahead.

Fyi, i am not a lawyer and made up this charter myself, i asked for
feedback and the rules for this OpenNIC democracy say that one week for
the proposal, in which you have time to discuss and change the charter,
and after a motion another week for voting in which you cannot change
the charter anymore, or you have to start another vote for the
amendment. i did *everything* by manual and you even got 2(!) weeks now
to get your angry lemmings to vote "no".

Cheers