discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box

  • From: mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTE] vote for .box
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:41:14 -0400

Clipped .box charter:

[clip]
Prohibited contents and behavior
to limit a larger spectrum for abusive behavior the following is
strictly forbidden, legitimate complaints regarding these activities
will result in suspension and revocation of all appropriate domains:

* general contents/activities considered illegal. this includes but is
not limited to:
- - spamming/cracking (including through non NIC systems)
- - cracks/warez/malware/botnets/honeypots
* contents considered illegal by the server locations laws.
* SEO/marketing websites
* pornographic, racists/extremist contents
[/clip]

I guess this part concerns me the most. It seems a bit broad and perhaps
over reaching. None of these things are clearly defined, for example
'extremist'. If I have a Christian Conservative web site, or a Militia
(a people's army) website (the only kind of military specifically
authorized under the Constitutional Republic of The United States of
America, by the way), would that be extremist? Who gets to decide that
'extreme' means? Is 'extreme snowboarding' extreme? I mean really that's
a very broad net we're trying to cast here.

Same with 'pornographic', 'racist'. Is a bikini pornographic? Are naked
breasts pornographic? I don't know. It's not clear.

If I say something like 'My friend, who is black, and I where walking
down the street when we ran into a Chinese fellow....', is that racist?
I don't know, it's not clear.

The term 'considered illegal' is also vague. Example, The Toronto Police
recently raided a man's house and took all his guns because they
'considered it illegal'. They where perfectly legal under the law that
is on the books (not to mention a persons inherent right to arm
himself), but the police 'considered them illegal', no actual written
law, they just 'consider it to be law'.

The term 'legitimate complaints'. What constitutes a 'legitimate
complaint'? If I have a beef with a website and I send a complaint about
a half a nipple showing in a photograph on the website, will it get shut
down?

I guess in short this just looks very vague and fuzzy, and perhaps over
reaching, I could never be quite sure what kind of content I could put
up, or where the lines are.

- --Mike