discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:09:30 +0100

Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com> schrieb:

For first, google did crawl email adresses, but as in many other points
google is just useless for different professional usage scenarios and even
spammers collecting email adresses.

This is why spammers / address collectors run their own crawlers today and/or
collect email addresses by other ways (i.e. directly from mail clients on
trojaned PCs / end user devices).

>Well said, Mr. Julian. With the evolution of spam filters (especially
>those Google has developed)
Google developed any spam filters? That's a far joke as Google byself set's
widely on still (by others) developed open source solutions. Google anytime
was several steps behind that spam filter evolution then most professional
business email providers i know or worked for. Even our own spam filters -
consiting of open source and own solutions - are doing their job since many
years on a higher level then Google ones.

Today proper spam filtering is not a really big job anymore if you just know
what you are doing as a postmaster.

>My advice to those who are are concerned with spam: have google host
>your email, or use proper spam filters :)

This is nonsense if you want to avoid ads and marketing stuff if you mean
"spam" at all. Google provides you mailspace at the cost of your privacy and
personal time as google uses it to sell ad channels to you to anyone who want
to reach you as a proper marketing target. This is exactly that what spam
filtering was formerly developed against.

The correct advise should be: Just use a mail system / provider administrated
by anyone who knows what he is doing and does a proper job. And there are
many out much better then google, but at the cost of your money instead of
your time and personality...

Yes, there are still many mailservers and even providers out not able to run
a proper email system, but there are many too able to do such a job / offer a
robust email service (incl. proper spam filters).

cheers,

Niels.
- --
Niels Dettenbach