discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

  • From: Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 02:00:08 -0800

I agree with you Nyles, there are many downsides about relying on large
companies, such as Google for keeping your private correspondences - private.
However, at the cost of the lack of privacy, and perhaps a multitude of other
bits of information that may or may not already be public knowledge, you are
provided with tangible goods and services, such as the lack of configuration
needed to have unsolicited email filtered from your sight.

I understand that part of Google's filtering algorithm includes reported
messages from other users of their service. This is impossible to do with a
handful of clients.

Proper spam filtering would be easier if everyone knew what needed to be
done; quite frankly however, there are a lot of people that do not have the
required skill-set for running a proper, spam-filtered mail server. I include
myself in this group and find it much easier to use an open an easy framework
that gets the job done. I'd much rather spend my nights sleeping than
tinkering with spam filtering rules so my mail can reliably find my inbox.

Thanks

-AP

Sent from my iPhone