discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists

  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Mailing Lists
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:31:13 +0100

Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, 02:00:08 schrieb Amrit Panesar:
> I understand that part of Google's filtering algorithm includes reported
> messages from other users of their service. This is impossible to do with a
> handful of clients.
This is nonsense too - just take a look at the different and typical anti
spam
technologies around like hash based dcc, razor, pyzor, dkim, spf,
sa-channels,
a huge amount of different types of collaborating real time and dns based
blocking lists and and and - plus (not at least) the commercial ones...

Typical anti-spam solutions typically consisting by a bundle of technologies
and data sources today filters >99% of spam out without "false positives".

The further rest of quality depends from the network and hardware ressources
mail provider is willing to spent his anti spam stage per single email / per
user - and google did not nearly run the most ressources per single email /
per user. Another problem is that there are environments where content based
spam filtering is not allowed by law - except the user has the option to
allow
it.

But the major leaving problem (which even a "large amount of clients" could
not solve) is that there are messages which could not be classified hardly
from anyone as spam because the same message is ham for another user (i.e.
mailing lists with bad policies etc.).

btw:
I remember about my collegues from west africa / nigeria which did not get
all
or many of their personal or business ham mails through google, yahoo and
others over years as such mailproviders did geographical discrimination of
email users - this is why many africans still want/prefer to get internet
access by a IP address registered at any geolocation in europe or northern
america. This has nothing to do with a halfway of professional spam filtering
- this is just for saving ressources on the providers side...

cheers,

Niels.

--
---