discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: server setup

Re: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: server setup

  • From: Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: server setup
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 09:45:09 -0800

The way I can see this playing out is like this:

Essentially you need to run a Bind9 server. This DNS server will be
authoritative (master) for your opennic domain(s). Generally, your ISP is
supposed to set the Pointer Record (PTR) on their own, any time you need to
change your rDNS, you're supposed to go through them. However, I think
they're trying to delegate (using an NS record) the rDNS to the Tier1 server,
this is not correct. Any Tier1 servers are only authoritative for OpenNIC
zones. So, as per your rDNS, you either need to make a reverse look up zone
with a PTR record for your IP OR (in what I believe is the proper way to do
this) have your ISP set the PTR on their end.

Just to reiterate, even if your ISP doesn't resolve OpenNIC zones (though you
should definitely urge them to!), they can still set an rDNS for your ip with
an OpenNIC domain.

Good Luck!

--Amrit

Sent from my iPhone