discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Plone

Re: [opennic-discuss] Plone

  • From: Mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Plone
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:47:21 -0500

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not bashing Plone, I've never used it, I
know little about it. It does not really matter to me what CMS we use
really.

I just don't want to be running around with a target on my back if the
sh*t ever hits the fan.

You have to understand that recently governments need very little excuse
to attack. You see them attacking websites and seizing property now
without any warrant or justification of any kind. That's my concern.

Suppose somebody at ICANN decides they want to do away with
OpenNIC....okay, well,...OpenNIC are using software provided by a
foundation regulated by 501(c)(3)...so there's your government
regulation connection....it's not a far stretch for a cleaver person
with a law background to drag OpenNIC under the terms of 501(c)(3) by
association. It's would not be right or just, but justice rarely matters
in law. Currently they are closing down operations without any
justification, warrant, nothing whatsoever, so I'm just saying why open
up that avenue?

Maybe I'm just over cautious, but I just see it that if OpenNIC starts
to become a real thorn in the side of ICANN and it's agendas, then we
might have to face these kinds of problems one day.

That's all I'm going to say on this. Just be careful that's all I'm saying.

--Mike