discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] CMS

Re: [opennic-discuss] CMS

  • From: Richard Lyons <richard AT the-place.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] CMS
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:42:22 +0000

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:25:08 -0500, Mike wrote:

> From a publisher point of view I find CMSMS very easy to use and create
> custom applications. It has good excellent access control. Lots of
> useful modules available as well, and uses a Smarty derived front-end
> processing. Very easy to both create custom modules and to tie existing
> module functionality together to form custom applications.

I agree. I have heard CMSMS criticized for the "extra" layer of Smarty,
but it is definitely very easy to learn and understand, and the
separation of roles is simple, so that content editing can be opened to
non-tech people.

> BIGACE is a little more designed for operating many websites under a
> single CMS instance. It had outstanding flexibility related to access
> control and that sort of thing, the plugin API is still a little rough
> in my view. Not many ready-made themes, number of plugins are increasing
> but still not like the mainstream CMSs.

This is the first I had heard of BigAce. I am impressed with its
simplicity and ease of use. For complex sites requiring embedded
graphics, the shortage of plugins (as yet) might be a disadvantage, but
it looks to me excellent for a cluster of simple sites.

richard