discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:33:10 +1000

On 21/02/12 18:10, Niels Dettenbach wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012, 03:02:47 schrieb Peter Green:
>> I would add that the enormous power and flexibility of a C.M.S.
>> (Wordpress is also my favorite) far out weighs any inherent security
>> issues, as that very power and flexibility also helps secure it in the
>> way of plugins.
>
> This is i.e. a C.M.S which fullfills the requirements you talk here about:
>
> http://plone.org/

*shudder* zope... I've used it in the past for a commercial application
on debian potato. Showing some years there.

I'm reading up on plone now, and I do like what I see. I am going to
setup a sandpit install and see what it can do.

> btw: Security is significant part of that application
>
> Just take a look at and/or log into that website - it widely speaks for
> himself...

You are absolutely correct here. From just reading the website you can
see it always has security in mind.

> Wordpress is far away to be a CMS and not nearly to just be a WCMS.

Perhaps like cloud, CMS is used too useless. But by using the loose term
CMS it ensures everyone is on the same page.

> btw: My be i'm not shure about the roadmaps of the OpenNIC project, but if
> OpenNIC really targets to get a significant respected and used alternative
> in
> the internet world we have to do things better then the establishement and
> even to appear as technical skilled people which do know what they are
> doing -
> using a kiddie PHP script for our main website which uses every kiddie for
> his
> doggie website on a low eco hostspace would generate a vice versa impress
> all of techies i know which think about to rely their ISPs DNS over to
> OpenNICs root. Another point is a strong and developed online community the
> project needs to grow up - which is only possible with a scalable and
> comfortable to manage portal system. How i.e. Drupal is coming to his edges
> could you see in practice here and in many partly grown Drupal based
> communities.

The website has always been our sore point. It suffers from a skill
shortage. I have the tech know-how to setup the site and maintain the
kit it runs on, but when it comes to building a site I suck at design
and the actually running off the site.

The only way this can improve, thus fixing the things you point out is
by people putting there hand up to help out. We'll save the conversation
of the webmastering WG for another thread.

> The current status of the website is not really the top as we know and
> there
> are several hacked together standalone apps with different logins /
> authentication realms etc - if you use i.e. wordpress this scenario would
> come
> again as wp is limited in functionality as scalability.

We all know the website sucks. This _will_ be fixed. :) As for hacked
together solutions, I'd say not. We have three auth sites. The mailing
list, the joomla install and the wiki. We are in the process of ensuring
the mailing list can auth from the wiki. We are also in the process of
automating the mailing list subscribers, again to be discussed at
another time.

[...]

> Yes, it may easier to setup something small and still used/known as this
> saves
> a little bit time during set up - but it will cost much more time to handle
> such a misdecision in the future - except there is no success for the
> project...

So for anything to work, we would need;

1 - A designer that can create themes for whatever platform we
choose(Peter Green?)
2 - A list of what we _actually_ want the site to do

As for plone, I'll report back once I've played with it. At this point
it does look very promising. Of course Niels you'll be able to assist if
needed? What direction would you see a plone install going?

--julian