discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Maximi89 <maximi89 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:32:13 -0300

2012/2/20 Niels Dettenbach <nd AT syndicat.com>
Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012, 16:42:30 schrieb Julian DeMarchi:
> In regards to this idea.
No,
this has nothing todo with my idea. I wrote abount a tool for end users to
easily find and set up their DNS as clients and i.e. distribution managers who
have their still existing network configuration framework who can integrate
that easily.

> What we have chatted about is creating a say
> opnnic-bind-tools package and have it depends on bind9 for example.
This is for talking about setting up a T2 - not for end users of OpenNIC.

But even this would be a mess of package management for any different
distributions as most of them use different pathes for named/bind
configurations.

The first thing could be to write and promote a README.OpenNIC oder
INSTALL.OpenNIC under package maintainers within the OSS OS distribution
world.

> Then installing this OpenNIC deb package will also bring in bind.
You are talking abount ubuntu or even debian, but this are just two of many
important linux distributions and a bunch more of *BSDs etc. Many DNS
operators i know run bind on BSD or even Solaris - not on Linux - for
different cases.

> Then
> in the postrun of the .deb spec file we would create our own hints file.
Ok,
this is for debian / ubuntu then- wo will maintain alle the others?

And not al least - network configuration is NO part of software repositories
or package managers - this would break different polocies behind many of them.

The tool need to be a script with GUI to change the DNS with just a click.

best regards,

Niels.

--
---