discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:10:44 +0100

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012, 03:02:47 schrieb Peter Green:
> I would add that the enormous power and flexibility of a C.M.S.
> (Wordpress is also my favorite) far out weighs any inherent security
> issues, as that very power and flexibility also helps secure it in the
> way of plugins.

This is i.e. a C.M.S which fullfills the requirements you talk here about:

http://plone.org/

btw: Security is significant part of that application

Just take a look at and/or log into that website - it widely speaks for
himself...

Wordpress is far away to be a CMS and not nearly to just be a WCMS.

btw: My be i'm not shure about the roadmaps of the OpenNIC project, but if
OpenNIC really targets to get a significant respected and used alternative in
the internet world we have to do things better then the establishement and
even to appear as technical skilled people which do know what they are doing
-
using a kiddie PHP script for our main website which uses every kiddie for
his
doggie website on a low eco hostspace would generate a vice versa impress to
all of techies i know which think about to rely their ISPs DNS over to
OpenNICs root. Another point is a strong and developed online community the
project needs to grow up - which is only possible with a scalable and
comfortable to manage portal system. How i.e. Drupal is coming to his edges
could you see in practice here and in many partly grown Drupal based
communities.

The current status of the website is not really the top as we know and there
are several hacked together standalone apps with different logins /
authentication realms etc - if you use i.e. wordpress this scenario would
come
again as wp is limited in functionality as scalability.

On the other hand, if OpenNIC just want to stay / leave as a small "some kind
of techi" group this would be acceptable.

Yes, it may easier to setup something small and still used/known as this
saves
a little bit time during set up - but it will cost much more time to handle
such a misdecision in the future - except there is no success for the
project...

best regards,

Niels.

.