discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Chad Perrin <code AT apotheon.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:58:04 -0700

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46:56PM -0800, Travis McCrea wrote:

> You can't write a FF or Chrome extension that does this (not without
> some hacking at least). This was the initial plan of the MAFFIAFIRE
> guys, but they couldn't achieve it so they use proxies and IPaddresses
> instead. The Maffiafire team has stated their support for OpenNIC and
> would help out if they can.

I'm pretty sure that's "MAFIAA", not "MAFFIA".

> We need to do better branding thats for sure, especially because right
> now we are prime material to be the new standard for DNS on the
> internet… people want a free and uncensored root, and we can be that
> alternative to the primary internet roots. We need to stop looking at
> things as technicians though, and start looking at them like UI guys
> and start focusing on the "customer" not the technology.

An important thing to accomplish (though I'm not sure how to do so) is to
make it a lot easier for people to get domains using OpenNIC TLDs to
resolve to shared hosting accounts, I think. Almost no shared hosting
providers, as far as I know, are set up so that people can have their
opennic.tld domains resolve to their shared hosting accounts.