discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:17:26 -0500

On 02/19/2012 09:42 PM, Andrew Norton wrote:
> What few guides and documents there are, are geared towards the 1000
> (estimate only) that would like to run a T2. For someone like me, who
> has VERY limited knowledge about this topic, there's almost nothing.
> That's not good.

I agree with this. I've been deep into tech for many years as well but I
simply never had much to do with DNS other than on the client side using
gethostbyname() and friends, so it's all been new to me. I run a couple
of T2s now and I think I've got most of the basics ironed out. I have to
agree it was a challenge at first with not really understanding some of
the terminology and some of the fundamentals.

I agree that something that would be a little more appliance-like or so
would probably attract a lot more T2 operators.

On the client side, On the Windows(tm) side particularly, if we had a
setup wizard to get people through the Windows client configuration, I
think that would be huge for getting new end users. Way more people will
use it if you can point your friend to a link and say here just run
this, click OK, OK, OK, and you'll be all OpenNIC'ed up.....

Would it be possible to form a sort of working group to tackle some of
these? Many hands make light work.

I am up to my eyeballs in projects and deadlines but I could spare a few
cycles here and there. If we could break these sort of things up into
smaller chunks and get a few people hammering at them....I dunno....

--Mike