discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:28:19 -0500

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:01:52PM -0500, woodq11 AT gmail.com wrote:
> I'm curious what makes the various people involved with OpenNIC take the
> time
> to try to change the way the internet works?
>
> It's definitely not easy or even guaranteed to be successful (depending on
> what your definition of successful is, I suppose..)

I think that's a fair question, and I can only speak for myself. I
joined OpenNIC nearly 12 years ago (wow!), because of some very nasty
things ICANN was doing at the time to abolish the at-large position
that was part of the ICANN board, meant to provide the public with
some transparency to ICANN's ways. That position was eventually
abolished, and true to form, ICANN's internal workings were no longer
visible to the public. And this remains so today.

So, OpenNIC to me is an alternative to all that is wrong with domain
name management. Instead of ICANN creating all the rules in a vacuum,
OpenNIC offers up the opportunity of a transparent internet. Plus,
it's just cool to be part of an organization that promotes freedom and
democracy. It goes along nicely with some other organizations I'm
involved with that also promote the same ideals.

Will we ever be successful? Who knows...that's not a criterion I use
to gauge my continued interest in OpenNIC. I simply enjoy the thrill
of the chase, don't care whether or not I catch the prey.

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic