discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

  • From: David Norman <deekayen AT deekayen.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:08:27 -0400

I found OpenDNS on July 4, 2008 when I discovered Windstream hijacking my
spelling errors on URLs. I even blogged about it. I only blog like 6 times a
year, so that's a big deal for me.
https://deekayen.net/windstream-redirecting-failed-website-requests

I had never considered that a DNS server could do anything other than be a
caching proxy to ICANN. Then Windstream broke the replies and I needed an
alternative server with a manager that had different motivations.

I don't really see it as "change" as much as providing an alternative to
commonly accepted configuration. I was merely a user for years, but with more
governments trying to tinker with ICANN DNS records, I'd like to help efforts
that prototype alternatives to ICANN. The recent bidding on suffixes makes
ICANN look like greedy fools.

I think there is no common success definition. Mine would be to provide a
template that any user or company could install to start their own suffix and
then for co-ops to develop that use them. OpenDNS is what I see as the
prototype co-op. My grand total contribution will probably be just T2
service, so I won't claim to be providing any real effort to the cause.

I'd actually like to transcend centralized DNS but haven't seen any efforts
to that which are practical yet. Torrenting and magnets ought to be able to
inform that somehow. Tor onion addresses are interesting to me as well, so I
have other servers that route Tor, but even that is still not decentralized
and not seen as legit by too many companies. Show me a .onion for Apple.
...and the rambling stops here.