discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

  • From: Ariel Millennium Thornton <arielmt AT thornton2.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 21:39:51 -0600

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:01:52PM -0500, woodq11 AT gmail.com wrote:
> I'm curious what makes the various people involved with OpenNIC take the
> time
> to try to change the way the internet works?
>
> It's definitely not easy or even guaranteed to be successful (depending on
> what your definition of successful is, I suppose..)

If y'all can pardon a lurker for speaking up:

As discouraged as "changing the way the Internet works" may seem, what
the OpenNIC project is doing is well enough within the domain of what's
permitted within the structure of the Internet to avoid breaking it.

As for the reason to put in the effort? Too many times, the commercial
and government interests running the accepted norm have violated the
trust of the end user in one fashion or another. A fundamental DNS
project run by volunteers without such politically or commercially
selfish interests, although not by any means perfect, seems a far sight
better in comparison.

As an end user (My apologies for not being more than that right now.),
I've found OpenNIC to be more reliable, and I rather like the idea of a
corner of the Internet run by people who want to create as few barriers
to individual and non-commercial access as possible.

-ArielMT