discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.co.uk>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Why Bother?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:56:47 +0100

When you say 'talk about paedophilia', do you mean general discussion about
the subject, or the topic it self?

You're going to have a hard time stopping something you oppose unless you
talk about it (the subject, not the topic, if that differentiates things
properly?), but discussing the topic is in it self paedophilia (is it not?)
and a different matter.

The W.W.W. and the Internets are like a car in that it is not up to the
manufacturer to dictate what you do with it, how fast you drive it, where
you go etc, that's for society to deal with, in whatever way the populace
see fit, and it tends to be via the justice system throughout the world
thankfully, though corporations and government are now throwing their
weight around.

My goal is to enable people to communicate, using a system that doesn't
judge (at least too much), the users should do that and specifically not
corporations and oppressive governments.

If we all (or most if in a democracy) agree that paedophilia is bad, (which
just to be clear I think it is bad, to put it mildly!) then a system other
than the networks and systems that make communications possible should deal
with people/websites/content or whatever. For instance, as a webhost, I
would take down that sort of content as I do not allow it in my T.o.S.

However, something that does no harm but is liked by some and not by others
shouldn't be stopped by those that simply don't like it, at least without
very good reason and the corporations and governments around the world are
getting oppressive, even in the so called free world.

A heavy and complicated subject this!

Peter