discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki

  • From: Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:24:26 -0500

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 01:57:42PM -0500, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 1. a website standard for registrars; there is none.
> > 2. a records standard (what is collected); there is none.
> > 3. an expiration standard (for dead or unused domains); there is none.
> > 4. replication of any registration data to the core opennic infrastructure
> > to avoid data loss; there is none (not talking about zonefiles here);
> > 4. monitoring of infrastructure; there is apparently a little.
> > 5. fast removal of dead or sluggish servers from published dns;

6. decent fair wages to reimburse the time spent on maintaining the
OpenNIC infrastructure; there is none.

My original email was cut off by the list server because I attached a screenshot of the "malware" registration site and list posts are limited to 50k. So there wasn't context I suppose.

Unless you want to step up to the plate, that is, and offer a little
monetary incentive that would allow me to step away from my
bill-paying job to address all of your concerns.  Until that happens,
I and others who donate their time to OpenNIC will continue to do so
contingent upon all the other demands on our time.

I certainly wasn't making ANY demands. Not at all. Do what you want to do, and set your own standards - by all means. My comments in the original email were simply that OpenNIC -has- an infrastructure team, yet it doesn't actually appear to monitor infrastructure (or at least, not the registrar sites).  The infrastructure team appears to be invite only, so saying "well, come fix it then" is disingenuous. I don't think you can deny that plenty of open source, free initiatives manage to document their product and standardize how things are done at least in their arena. It's not even a part time job to setup Cacti or Nagios, not even close. That would at the very minimum cover notifications for downed DNS and registrar sites. Anyway, carry on.