discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki

  • From: Julian DeMarchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Odd links on the wiki
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:38:28 +1000

On 10/17/2012 09:24 AM, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
> I certainly wasn't making ANY demands. Not at all. Do what you want to do,
> and set your own standards - by all means. My comments in the original
> email were simply that OpenNIC -has- an infrastructure team, yet it doesn't
> actually appear to monitor infrastructure (or at least, not the registrar
> sites). The infrastructure team appears to be invite only, so saying
> "well, come fix it then" is disingenuous. I don't think you can deny
> that plenty of open source, free initiatives manage to document their
> product and standardize how things are done at least in their arena. It's
> not even a part time job to setup Cacti or Nagios, not even close. That
> would at the very minimum cover notifications for downed DNS and registrar
> sites. Anyway, carry on.

I think the seperation of core OpenNIC services is not quite obvious, I
am sorry for this.

OpenNIC does not control the registration sites nor the TLDs under
OpenNIC. These are sponsored TLDs by members of the community. It's up
to the administrator(s) of the TLDs to monitor their services.

Core OpenNIC services are monitored via a members service. The
infrastructure team is not private-invite only. All you have to do is
ask to help out. Offer a PoC, etc..... If you think it is a
private-invite only team, here is your invitation to join us, just jump
on our IRC channel #opennic on freenode and meet us.

Onto public DNS monitoring. On the reports list, there are reporting
emails that come through for all to see the status of the T1 and T2
servers. Jeff and Brian have also put in over 100 hours of work to
implement an pool.ntp.org style system.

This system automagically removes offline servers and what not. This is
only a new feature that has come together after nearly 6 months of work.
This is a brilliant system which is already yeilding great results.

If there is anything you need clarification on please ask. :-)

--julian