discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: nanashiRei <nanashi.rei AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 13:23:55 +0100

Can we *please* compile a Wiki page with all the ***important*** stuff
that's topic related, i am totally lost here. And i'm currently unable
to access the demopage or forum.

P.S.: I'll be out for a few hours. nite.

Am 05.12.2012 12:53, schrieb Jamyn Shanley:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Brian Koontz
> <brian AT opennicproject.org>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 03:19:43PM -0600, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
>>> The vast majority of OpenNIC information could (should?) be put on the
>>> website, and not a wiki. Essentially there's core information that needs
>>> be communicated, and all of that could be put on a website (dynamic or
>> not):
>>
>> The original intent of the wiki was to serve as a technical
>> repository. AFAIK, you all can do what you want. This happens every
>> so often: New blood comes on board, demands change to the
>> latest/greatest web platform flavor of the day, then departs the fix
>> without a trace. Seen it happen more times than I can count. So call
>> me jaded, call me a stick in the mud, whatever. I'll just leave the
>> wiki open and available. Someone else wants to come along and
>> reinvent the wheel, by all means do so.
>>
>> To me, the wasted effort comes from duplicating work that's already
>> been done. You all want pretty? Make a pretty website. But if you
>> do, plan on sticking around for the long run to maintain it, update
>> the contents, etc. Otherwise, it just becomes one in a long line of
>> failed efforts to get the info to the masses
>>

> To be direct with you - I have to say, out of all possible responses to
> feedback, yours is the least useful. It doesn't encourage help, it doesn't
> promote goodwill, and it doesn't paint the project in any sort of a good
> light. Your response is stereotypically cranky and irritable and "old
> sysadmin" and does not convey any of the qualities of what people would
> want to see in a project lead. People want to volunteer for someone they
> like. Would you volunteer your time for someone that responded to you? Read
> your post again. If you're honest with yourself, you'd admit you come off
> as grouchy and irritable and you're not promoting any sort of work.
>
> You want change? Lead. You hear lots of people saying "we should do X", and
> it has some merit? Delegate. That's what a leader does. Nobody said you
> have to do anything. You don't even have to put very much effort into it;
> delegation is easy. It's trivial to take the task, cut it into manageable
> pieces, and ask for volunteers/delegate.
>
> If people step forward, they want it done. If nobody does, the idea dies.
> Either way, you don't come off the way you just did... that is the
> constructive way to deal with things. Tell me - what exactly do you feel
> you are accomplishing by standing in the way of the discussion and loudly
> proclaiming doom and gloom?

David "nanashiRei" Marner
Founder of YaS-Online.net
Service from Gamers, for Gamers.

PGP public key @ http://nanashirei.me/pgp
Commercial contact: nanashi.rei AT senshi.jp