discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 07:48:55 -0500

On 12/04/2012 08:55 PM, Brian Koontz wrote:
> The original intent of the wiki was to serve as a technical
> repository. AFAIK, you all can do what you want. This happens every
> so often: New blood comes on board, demands change to the
> latest/greatest web platform flavor of the day, then departs the fix
> without a trace. Seen it happen more times than I can count. So call
> me jaded, call me a stick in the mud, whatever. I'll just leave the
> wiki open and available. Someone else wants to come along and
> reinvent the wheel, by all means do so.
>
> To me, the wasted effort comes from duplicating work that's already
> been done. You all want pretty? Make a pretty website. But if you
> do, plan on sticking around for the long run to maintain it, update
> the contents, etc. Otherwise, it just becomes one in a long line of
> failed efforts to get the info to the masses.

This may be valid, but it misses the point. The conversation we've had
thus far doesn't support a multitude of people (or even a few people)
trying to reinvent the wheel. The suggestions put forth thus far don't
involve starting over. They are "fix this here," "change that a bit,"
and "fix that, there," with the exception of perhaps a new theme. But
even that is only customization of an existing product. Either way, the
questions being asked and discussion being held isn't unreasonable.