discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: Christopher <weblionx AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 03:00:57 -0400

I certainly am interested in the idea behind this.

One point to note is (and maybe you've noted it already) you'd likely
be a lot better off doing fiber to the home to start with. I know many
houses out there, even with a professional contractor, would be a pain
to wire for a few Ethernet drops, much more so to make many fiber
drops all over the home. For sure, even a single 1Gb link would be
more than most families could saturate, even with a few HDTV channels
streaming. Plus, more devices are going wireless and even the best
current wireless connection is around 300Mbps, with 1Gbps+ still on
the horizon.

But, if you can get even 1Gbps to the home I'd be interested,
especially if it comes with native IPv6 access. I wouldn't even care
about more than one (well, maybe two, I could do something with two)
IPv4 addresses. Your only competitor would be Google's fiber at that
point, and they're being very slow with their roll-outs.

And here's a somewhat off-the-wall question, would you look to provide
dial-in or WISP access in the future for members that are accessing
from various areas off the fiber network?

- C. R.