discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: "Alex M (Coyo)" <coyo AT darkdna.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:32:21 -0500

On 04/13/2013 02:00 AM, Christopher wrote:
I certainly am interested in the idea behind this.

One point to note is (and maybe you've noted it already) you'd likely
be a lot better off doing fiber to the home to start with.

Obviously, I could afford only one 1GigE drop per subscriber at first.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I've thought of this, already.

I know many
houses out there, even with a professional contractor, would be a pain
to wire for a few Ethernet drops, much more so to make many fiber
drops all over the home. For sure, even a single 1Gb link would be
more than most families could saturate, even with a few HDTV channels
streaming.
Plus, more devices are going wireless and even the best
current wireless connection is around 300Mbps, with 1Gbps+ still on
the horizon.

Have you heard that many wireless router companies, including Buffalo, Linksys and Asus, are releasing Wireless-Draft-AC home gateway routers? Some even have DD-WRT factory installed.

It's gigabit wireless. :D

But, if you can get even 1Gbps to the home I'd be interested,
especially if it comes with native IPv6 access. I wouldn't even care
about more than one (well, maybe two, I could do something with two)
IPv4 addresses. Your only competitor would be Google's fiber at that
point, and they're being very slow with their roll-outs.

I'm unconcerned about Google Fiber. They are extremely lazy, unambitious, and are dragging their feet rolling out networks.

From what I have learned, they are using many of the techniques and approaches I was already planning on using. That means I'm doing it right.

That said, I've also heard that the sole reason for Google Fiber is for research purposes, so Google can observe real live traffic and Google services usage on futuristic broadband connections.

They have no real intention of competing with Comcast, Charter, AT&T or Verizon.

And here's a somewhat off-the-wall question, would you look to provide
dial-in or WISP access in the future for members that are accessing
from various areas off the fiber network?

What is WISP?

You mean mobile mobile broadband?

You realize wireless spectrum and licensing is exorbitantly and ridiculously expensive, right? It's also a huge headache to get, due to the FCC being deeply in bed with the incumbent ISPs and incompetent to boot.

It's actually LESS expensive to offer 40GigE carrier-grade connections to every home in my footprint than get the freaking spectrum and permission from the FCC to actually use the spectrum once I already own it.

That said, I will eventually deploy both LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 mobile broadband in addition to extensive WiFi hotspots, MicroCells and PicoCells, and 802.11u WiFi cellular offloading, but it will take awhile before I can afford that.

I'm keeping it very simple at first, though I have a 36-42 year plan in mind for different services I want to deploy and offer as a package deal for very affordable.