discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 20:47:10 +0200

i would go with neither genius or nutter, but over enthousiast.

MAJOR pain points:

=> You don't want to be overpriced, yet tend to have best customer service AND fastest network?
have you done ANY kind of price planning?
basically you want the fastest, best, most reliable network for a price people can afford,
while maintaining best customer service.
financially this seems to be impossible (permits, employees, sip trunks, maintenance, backbone, uplinks, hardware, fiber, construction)

=> you state "no domestic espionage" ... define that?
because afaik both US and EU have regulations that require any ISP to keep logs of traffic,
which would mean you either lie or break a law.

=> everything you include and bundle, wth?

the idea is GREAT, but the legal/financial/practical/marketing needs will be impossible to meet.
even if just in texas, i can't see you ever getting a decent company out of the ground with all these items available at startup.
where are you getting 12.000 tv channels? (who needs that many btw)
how do you figure a quadrupple play offer with an entire private network is gonna work out, financially?

i'm loving the idea - trying to make the internet more open, but i would really like to see a financial picture attached,
stating it is POSSIBLE to do even just a break-even with this (and prices/requirements/investments etc)