discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: "Alex M (Coyo)" <coyo AT darkdna.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:55:22 -0500

On 04/12/2013 01:47 PM, Bjorn Peeters wrote:
i would go with neither genius or nutter, but over enthousiast.

MAJOR pain points:

=> You don't want to be overpriced, yet tend to have best customer service AND fastest network?
have you done ANY kind of price planning?
basically you want the fastest, best, most reliable network for a price people can afford,
while maintaining best customer service.
financially this seems to be impossible (permits, employees, sip trunks, maintenance, backbone, uplinks, hardware, fiber, construction)

I thought it would be a lot harder than I'm learning it will be.

Yes it's going to cost an arm, a leg and my firstborn son, but I'm unanimously considered by all of my friends and family to be a super-genius among super-geniuses.

It is a lofty ambition to be sure, however it is a worthy cause, and an interesting challenge to overcome.

Bottom line, I'm bored, and I want something that truly challenges me. I'm unhappy with a challenge like this, since I feel very unfulfilled, like I'm not achieving my full potential, if I do not pursue a challenging goal.

Sure, I may not succeed. I never expected this to be easy. That's the point. If it was easy, I wouldn't bother!

However, as my friends and family remind me constantly, I won't really know until I try, and that if anyone can pull this off, it would be me.

=> you state "no domestic espionage" ... define that?
because afaik both US and EU have regulations that require any ISP to keep logs of traffic,
which would mean you either lie or break a law.

You ever heard of civil disobedience? If a law is unjust, or if the government oversteps its bounds, I will not stand for it.

I'm not saying I would shoot a police officer, but it is an American tradition to overthrow tyrants. Just saying.

=> everything you include and bundle, wth?

the idea is GREAT, but the legal/financial/practical/marketing needs will be impossible to meet.
even if just in texas, i can't see you ever getting a decent company out of the ground with all these items available at startup.
where are you getting 12.000 tv channels? (who needs that many btw)
how do you figure a quadrupple play offer with an entire private network is gonna work out, financially?

These services won't be immediately available at startup, though I will do everything conceivable, and many things unthinkable (for mortals) to get these services available ASAP.

i'm loving the idea - trying to make the internet more open, but i would really like to see a financial picture attached,
stating it is POSSIBLE to do even just a break-even with this (and prices/requirements/investments etc)

I have studied and researched hard to get a rough idea of financial feasibility, and I am deadly confident it CAN be done. This does not mean it will be easy. It wouldn't be any fun if it was, now would it?

I am in the process of conducting more detailed and extensive feasibility studies, and am contacting sales representatives for the cross-connection contracts, peering agreements, transit SLAs, real estate purchases, easement and right-of-way contracts with the state of Texas in order to get a clearer idea of precisely how much this is going to cost me, and how I might meet or exceed these capital expenditures.

I'm deadly confident it can be done, but I guess we'll see? :D