discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: Bjorn Peeters <bjorn AT bjornpeeters.be>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 07:39:53 +0200

I will be keeping a -much interested- eye on this to see where it ends up :)
The technical side, i'm not doubting.
The financial side, if you've got - or can get - a shitload of money and build up the services slowly enough,
and can market it as a real company and not a "will fail within the first year" company (seen enough come and go),
then i would indeed assume it can be done.

But the commercial world is almost like a warzone, and there will be more than enough who'd rather not see this happen...
And again, though a law may be unjust it doesn't mean they won't shoot you down for not obeying by it.
(Though, i assume you *could* get around current implementations of these laws, it again will cost you a shitload)

And last but least, i'm not sure how it is over there in texas, but over here you'd have a seriously hard time getting the fiber in the ground,
with all the required permits and time until approval etc.

Still, someone with the money, know-how, and who doesnt like the current system, could probably pull it off.
Which is why, how unlikely it is, i'd still be very much interested to see this come to life.
And, ofcourse, Opennic would be used as the defacto dns i suppose? :)

To finish off, i'll give you a pricetag for belgium's mobile market operators:

2g license: 31 million,
3g license: 140 million
4g license: (one 45mhz block) 22 million
199 million euro LICENSING cost - i.e.: "now you are allowed to start requesting antennas and building permits".