discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .pirate TLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] .pirate TLD

  • From: Mauricio Pasquier Juan <mauricio AT pasquierjuan.com.ar>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .pirate TLD
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 12:44:38 -0300

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 11:09:59AM +0000, Peter Green wrote:

> >Clearly you don't understand about 1/3 of PPI's political platform.
>
> I think you missed my point (or I'm now missing yours) it's how the wider
> society perceive it, not us.
>
> The word 'pirate' had pretty clear meanings before we started using it on
> the
> www. As I'm sure you all know, a pirate was a sea fairer that did indeed
> believe in freedom, but attacked and stole to make a living.
>
> It seems to me to have been adopted by 'file sharers' with a strong element
> of "fuck you" in it's early use.

actually, and I know I'm risking going OT here, it was the other side (the
copyright trolls!) who labeled 'file sharers' as pirates, explicitly to make
copying files the same as attacking and stealing in the eyes of the wider
society. The pirate parties have, or at least tried to, reappropiate this
"insult" and make it a possitive stance. Pirate is someone who shares
knowledge
and culture, someone who fights for anonymity, transparency, and freedom!

And even so, not all pirates were that bad. Check what hakim bey (among
others)
wrote about pirate utopias:
http://hermetic.com/bey/pirate-utopias/pirate-utopias.html

I'll leave it here because I don't want to derail any longer the discussion
about
.pirate :)

> So for a political statement to be
> shoehorned out of it requires a large dollop of artistic license to be used
> positively and the anti's as well as the less thoughtful will simply
> understand it in its original context.
>
> If so, then how can supporting the T.L.D. have made OpenNIC look good to
> many?

are you saying it didn't? honestly I don't know what repercussions had this
TLD
on opennic's public image. Any articles or something to share?