discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)

Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:12:51 -0700

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 03:59:07PM -0600, Quinn Wood wrote:
> Then don't pretend it's the will of the group. Just do it yourself,
> like half the primary infrastructure (and all of the namesevers) that
> currently exists

There is a basic problem with OpenNIC: We have countless numbers of
individuals who join the group, pretend to be interested, actually start on
various projects, then abruptly disappear. This is my 14th year with
OpenNIC, and I've seen this happen over and over again. That said, I'm not
about to apologize that there are 4 of us who sort of keeps things running
smoothly, without running to the membership everytime a decision needs to
be made. However, we do try to be as transparent as possible, which is why
we have a wiki and a portal. I would love to delegate more tasks, but the
problem is finding people who are hear for the long run.

> > There's really nothing nefarious here.
> >
> There's also nothing democratic here.

While I'm not naive enough to believe that democracy equates to
transparency, we do strive to be as democratic AND transparent as possible
(and as time permits).

Check your email.

--Brian